The Betty MacDonald Network™
A literary society and fan magazine
Welcome to our open, community supported fan site for American author and humorist Betty Bard MacDonald.
Join the Friends of Betty MacDonald
Membership is open to the public. There is no charge to participate in the bulletin board or to read the public portions of the site. Subscription
for a nominal annual fee provides access to additional features.
The FOBM Forum is a general-purpose bulletin-board.
- Registration is required to participate. Contact data in registrations is unpublished.
- Subscribers can also reply to members-only topics and post new topics.
This might be a good time for you to register. As Ma Kettle would say,
"Don't just stand there, tell 'em your name."
Subscribers have capabilities within the site that are not available to casual visitors.
- Open new Forum topics.
- Access private areas of the site.
- Participate in the Inkubator, the FOBM web log.
- Contribute full-length articles for review and publication and serve as a reviewer.
- Contribute photos to the Gallery.
- Participate in discussions of policies and procedures.
The Forum registration and membership lists
- allow us to recognize you when you add new content
- link all comments by the same person correctly
- save you a lot of retyping
- exclude persons who would use the site for "flame wars" or extraneous purposes
- help us maintain privacy with our continuously improving security techniques
- reduce spam by encouraging the use of our "blind" forms that do not display your address
ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED BY MEMBERS IS CONFIDENTIAL. We will not distribute contact information to third parties. You will not receive spam as a direct result of registration. "Harvesting" of email addresses is not possible, as they are never displayed on the site (unless you do it yourself, as by having the Forums display it).
The best way for you to maintain your privacy and minimize spam is NOT to put your address visibly on any web page, NOT to sign up for "free stuff" - except for this site, of course - and NOT to put lists of email addresses into the TO: field of your emails (use the BCC field instead).
To cancel your registration, write to the editor from your registered email address. Include your login name in your request.
All cancellation requests are confirmed by email to the registered address.
From our web hosts:
CIP Sitemaker?, the system that underlies this site, is capable of managing sites for small businesses and organizations as well as large, comprehensive, news and magazine sites. It effortlessly keeps track of thousands of pages, articles, posts, graphics, events, etc.
If you have an international keyboard or know your character codes, you may type in any Western language. I see no reason one could not actually post in other languages; please be considerate and include a brief synopsis in English if you do so. If there is sufficient interest and support, we'd be interested in cloning the site in other languages.
Depending on the wishes and participation of the community, this site can evolve into whatever you want it to be. Naturally, there's no free lunch, but it is our desire to assist this vibrant exchange to continue.
So Welcome, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Bienvenido, Vitejte! And thanks for being such an interesting group; we have fully enjoyed this series. Congratulations!
Sincerely, "Frank Alexander"
for Clark Internet Publishing
Wenn Sie uns auf Deutsch schreiben wollen, bitte die Form "To The Editor" benutzen.
Si vous voulez nous ecrire en français, employez la forme "To The Editor" svp.
Si Ud. quiere escribirnos en castellano, favor usar el formulario «To The Editor».
- What are the benefits of membership?
- Members can
- start new topics with links to graphics and related sites
- send private messages to other members
- create a personal profile to tell members about yourself
- be a part of the community!
- How does one become a member?
- Just click the Join! link and fill out a brief form. All information provided is confidential and is not shared with third parties. Even members of the site do not have access to the member list, which is used only for messages from the administrator or to route messages among members sent through forms. You must have a valid email address, to which we will send your login information and announcements of new features.
- What do you do with my personal information?
- THE WEB HOSTS of this site will not share your personal data with anyone, including other members, unless you post it in a public area like your profile. All visitor communication with members is done through forms that retrieve the routing information from a confidential database and do not display it to the sender.
- THE EDITORS of this site are required to follow the same guidelines. If you suspect that your information has been released inappropriately by the site's operator, please inform the host's customer service representatives.
- How did spam get through using the address I posted?
- The system does not reveal members' addresses. Messages to members can only be sent indirectly through a form that does not display your address, and only other members who are signed in can use that form. However, if someone writes to you and you reply by ordinary email, then you have sent that person your address, and we have no control over what use he/she makes of it.
The two most common means of finding addresses for spam are (1) harvesting from web pages (we've blocked that) and (2) using the TO or CC fields in email programs to send mail to groups (always use the BCC field for that, sending the original to yourself).
- How much does it cost?
- The site is supported by subscriptions and advertising. Participation and membership are free. Subscriptions are more than welcome.